Friday 11 February 2011

Clive - Life Drawings

Two life drawings this week at the Stamford Arts Centre. First is in pencil on white cartridge paper.

The second is on a new surface to me. This is Pastelmat paper, which is a thick (card-like) surface (360gsm / 170lb) specially developed for pastelists. According to the manufacturers "Its unique velvety surface, made from a fine coating of cellulose fibers, has the ability to grab and hold multiple layers of even the softest pastels".

For the drawing I used Conte chalks rather than soft pastels. Normally Conte adheres well and on this surface it was really held hard. This meant my normal smudging and blending with a tissue or Torchon was difficult and the drawn marks are still visible. I would like to try soft pastels on this paper. It comes in some interesting dark colours, which is why I was attracted to it. It is relatively expensive but I bought large sheets and cut them up. Watch this space for more Pastelmat trials.

No comments: