Thursday 22 July 2010

New painting: Hallaton, Leicestershire

Just completed an oil painting (click on image to zoom). This is based on an old B&W photograph of Hallaton that I found in a book about Leicestershire villages in the local pub. I guess the photo was taken around 1900. I was (and am) intrigued by this image. There's something slightly surreal about it that hopefully I've captured in the painting. I've used a very limited palette and given a cold but bright Winter feel. In preparing the painting I visited Hallaton and took a photo in the same place. Not much has changed in 100 years - mainly the appearance of motor vehicles, and the disappearance of the tree in the churchyard. Hope you like the painting. Hallaton is famous for the annual bottle-kicking match.

Hallaton, Leicestershire. Oil on canvas board (2010). Mike Todd

Hallaton, Leicestershire (detail)

Hallaton, Leicestershire. Photograph (2010). Mike Todd

No comments: